Photo by Annie Spratt on Unsplash
If you have a PC that isn’t a MAC the chances are you are using Windows 10 as your Operating System, Windows is a Microsoft Product. The great thing about Microsoft Products is that you can create Family Profiles for these products. You can can control screen time, activities and even location to ensure their children’s devices are protected from theft. Families with multiple children of varying ages can set up multiple profiles with different restrictions and privileges for each. Another Microsoft Product you can control with Microsoft Family, is the X Box, you may want to place restrictions on this device as well while the kids are at home with you during this time.
This tutorial will guide you through the process to set up a child profile on your PC and in Microsoft Family.
Step 1: Locate the Accounts on your PC
- Go to your Start Menu
- Select the Account Icon
- Select Change Account Settings
Step 2: Find Where to add a family member
- Ensure you are logged in as an Administrator (in the green box of the above image). If you are not an administrator, you will need to have the Computer’s Administrator do this, or have them change your account type to Administrator.
- Select Family & other users
Step 3: Add a Child Account
Step 4: If the child already has a Microsoft Account, to add them to this device
- Enter the Microsoft Account email and click Next. Follow the prompts to allow the child’s account onto this device. If you don’t know the child’s password you will most likely need them to enter it in during this process.
If the child doesn’t have an account; Select The person I want to add doesn’t have an email address
- Create an Email for them and Click Next
2. IMPORTANT! Create a password and SAVE it somewhere, either write it down or save it in a document on your computer so you can use it to log your child in on the device. You can change it later. If your child wants to change it themselves they will be able to after they log in to the device, or at Microsoft Online. Then Click Next
3. Enter child’s name and Click Next
4. Enter the child’s Birthday. This will add age appropriate restrictions by default, saving you a lot of time when you want to control their content later. Click Next